Pre-Press Technician is qualified to lay out jobs for printing using a variety of graphics software applications to work with technical layout and design components. The ability to verify copy, install fonts on copy sent electronically from customers for multi-spot color or four-color process jobs. Prepares sheet layouts and cut files upon request of customers and assists with associated pre-press functions such as setting up files for best fit on a press sheet, retrieving and storing files on the departmental server, retrieving files from the department shared folder, and related printing functions and finishing understanding.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of specialized training beyond high school, such as a two-year vocational/technical training program in graphic design or a related field experience is required.
Experience: Requires at least two years of experience is required using a computer to manipulate digital files is required. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite software is required. Past experience E-Pace data software is a benefit.
Skills: The ability to work with various graphic design and layout software applications commonly used on Mac’s and PC’s is required. Proficiency in all Adobe Creative Suite software packages and Microsoft Word on a Mac Computer is required. A thorough understanding of digital file formats (pdf, tiff, eps) from different operating systems (Mac and PC) is required. Color management skills and the ability to work with different digital file formats are required. The ability to output digital files to output devices like RIP and to the front end of digital presses is required. The ability to continue to learn and use new graphics software on an ongoing basis is required. An understanding of the basic digital print process is required.
Other: Visual acuity and the ability to visually distinguish color in order to do layout and design work for printing is required. The ability to lift 50 pounds occasionally is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produces effective collateral projects and in project reviews, preparing print ready artwork, and becoming proficient in new software programs and versions as needed.
- Operates within deadlines established by production schedule, preparing details for print vendors when needed, and archiving files on the server.
- Assists the Press room as needed on jobs and maintains the pre-press area by performing color corrections to specific standards to produce quality printed pieces.
- Reduces the likelihood of on-the-job injuries by following established safety guidelines when working around equipment.
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with others.